Pages

Sunday 21 October 2012

Few of us are perfect, and we don't need to be!

On Sunday, I had a terrific realisation. I felt like chillin' out - so I did. At the end of the day, curiously, I felt absolutely no guilt about that! 

"Curiously?" you ask? Well, yes!

There was a time when I could not conceive of relaxing because that was an unmitigated waste of time and life is so short! The sad part of that whole story was that I really did believe it; and it cost me! 

It cost dearly really, because of the simple pleasures that I have somehow managed to miss along the way. The days when I could have, and really should have, gone to watch my children play football - or simply taken a stroll along the shores of a lake with my wife. 

I am quite 'gutted' now, to think that all that time that I spent worrying about things that I really could not control. The irony is that I knew that I couldn't control those things anyway - but somehow wantonly watched myself waste that valuable time regardless. Is this rational - and more importantly - is this sane behaviour?

Well, I'd hazard a guess that it is neither and as I sit here and write, I can't help but smile because of the senselessness of it all.

I know that once I publish this - I'll gaze upon it later, and be ashamed of the stupidity which I allow to take hold in my mind.

I think that part of the learning process, and the 'improving process' - is having the courage to face up to my imperfections and allow them to just simply be. 

I think that I once heard that in the entire universe, only one kind of thing is perfect - and that is the timing  of the light emitted by a pulsar. I am not an astrophysicist, so I have no idea whether that is true or not - but suppose it is - hell, then I am in great company. Nothing else in the Universe is perfect - just like me.

So, I guess my 'perfect school teachers' fall into that mould too. They probably weren't perfect either.

I wonder - might not that have been (and still be) a valuable lesson to teach to children? 

  

2 comments:

Lea White said...

It is nice to see you still blogging George! I think we tend to get so wrapped up in life and its complications that we often forget to live also.

All About People said...

Thanks so much for your comment Lea.

It's been a while since we chatted - how are you?