Pages

Monday 30 January 2012

First Timers!!


I remember very well the first time I ever drove a car - or at least, tried to!!

I had been badgering my father for many months to let me have a go! How difficult could it be, right?

I mean, I watched and watched and watched; I listened and listened and listened!  I knew how to drive a car, and I knew that I knew.

Then, one day, half expecting my dad would say 'no' . . . again; he didn't!
"Go on then!! - Have a go" - and I did - hmmm, no sooner was I at the wheel, when my whole world came caving in!

I stalled the car. Ignition, clutch - or was that clutch, ignition? Stalled again! (I won't write or attempt to describe the probable words that were in my mind - they dared not come out my mouth!! I am braver in my mind than I am in the physical world!)

Try again - same result.

I realised on that day that there is a world of difference between knowing something, and doing it!

Well, hell - "dejavu all over again!" (as Yogi Berra so eloquently put it!)

Here I am again, all over again - all these years later - and while I am not trying to drive a car - trying to drive a blog has proved to be equally challenging for me!

My personal angel, Lea, has patiently listened and watched as I have bumbled along trying to get this blog off the ground.

Great ideas swimming inside my craneum - but stubbornly refuse to transmute themselves from thoughts to words and just appear on the screen.

"Why don't you just write about some of your technical difficulties?", she urged!
"Huh? - What an amazing idea!" I replied.

So, here I am - getting my feet wet while writing about something that really has frustrated me this evening/night/morning - yip - it is now 01h40 UK time, and I am still here trying to get some words on the screen: So please forgive the slow start - but I am sure this will get easier and better as we go along.

I couldn't wait to start my blog - I know how this is done.  .  .  .

7 comments:

Lea said...

Great entry George and you have a great writing style! :-). I'm sure Paul also will have loads to say about experiencing technical difficulties with his blog :-).

It will get easier though. Before you know it you will be a pro at this and the difficult days will be something of the past. Any time you need help - you know where to find me, am just a Skype chat / email away.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Haha! You know....it won't be long and we won't be able to shut you up!! No doubt you'll be better than me at blogging. Looking forward to more George.
Cheers Susan

* I'm the one who deleted the comment ... my usual spelling mistakes. (red faced)

amanda said...

Very descriptive. Brought back some memories and sure put a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing.

Paul said...

A great first post, George! Hope you enjoy the experience of blogging. There are frustrations but Lea is a wealth of knowledge as I've called on her many a time!

Ellie said...

That's a great first post, you will get into the way of it. I felt very self conscious when I first started and I do sometimes find it difficult to put into writing what I want to say - but it doesn't stop me lol.
Have fun with it!!!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Well I truly believe you are off to a wonderful start. Just ease off the clutch and concentrate on steering. It is easy once you start to roll.. B