Pages

Wednesday 1 February 2012

I called my friend and colleague Marianne today.

"Marianne!" I exclaimed - "I do beg your pardon: Remind me - did I say I'd call you today, or did you say you'd call me?"

"I said I'd call you" she replied - "and I apologise that I haven't done so yet!" - I was about to say "Hey, no worries, you've probably been busy!" when she interjected and said "a good friend of mine passed away today!"; "She was only 49"; "Cancer" she went on in her broken, considered way.

"OOOOh mannnnn!" I thought, "She was a baby!".
It's amazing how fast we can think - how much data our brains can process in the most compressed frames of time.

"Her name was Elissa!"; "Elissa-Jane!" 

I screamed inside my own head - "Oh my gosh!", and instantly I felt wracked with guilt.
I knew her; and the last time I thought about her, my thoughts were angry!!

Suddenly, the full meaning of 'it's a short life!' came home to me. Actually, it wasn't a gentle arrival - more like a hammer blow!

Here's what had happened. Elissa had stood me up - she made an arrangement to turn up to a meeting and she simply didn't do it. No apology, no explanation! I was, needless to say, annoyed! The worst was, that she'd done that more than once.

But, the last time I saw her was at an event last year (2011) in Cardiff, and she told me that she had cancer - I obvioulsy felt for her - Lord knows that I have people close to me who have been touched by this scourge.

"Coffee?" she asked at the event,
"But of course!" I replied, and with that, the date was set. This was June, last year.

Blow me over with a feather - I sat there at the Village Hotel when I received her text message to say
'sorry, can't make it; feeling a little low!" - and with that, the steam coming out of my ears was visible for all to see.

"That's just it now!" I raged inside myself, "I will never again even agree to even see this person, let alone meet up with her!"

What a difference 7 months makes. . . . Now, here I sit and contemplate - what the hell was all that about? How short life is; she probably did feel crap on the day that she sent me her text, and I was probably too busy being angry to hear what she was really saying.

"So, I'll call you back tomorrow George" Marianne said - I didn't have the heart to tell her that I didn't hear a word she'd said; I was too busy being absent . . .again.

I'm sorry Elissa, wherever you are . . . .

4 comments:

Lea White said...

:-( Oh my! What a difficult day you must have had :-(. I'm so sorry George!

Ellie said...

I am so sorry to hear about this for everybody involved.

Paul said...

The best friend of my wife died from cancer a few weeks ago at the age of 56. Far too young! We all easily make judgements on others withour really knowing what's going on for that person. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Sarah said...

I've just come here via Lea, George, so first of all hi :) and welcome to blogging, you've got off to a great start! I'm yet to have a blog.....I'm tempted......

Anyway....

It's amazing how fast we can think - how much data our brains can process in the most compressed frames of time-

I'm already loving your posts.....I think about things like this all the time! Neurology fascinates me and how that manifests in real time within our lives :)

I'm sorry to hear about Elissa, and Jo's friend Paul...cancer takes people too soon...but those of us still here, we can keep fighting, supporting and living and being our best (to borrow your words Paul)...

...try not to question too much what you've already done, what matters is what you choose to do from here. Imagine a world without learning :S