Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

I just got the shock of my life.

Here's how it happened:

I had an inbox message from someone telling me that my website was non-compliant and that I should address this. Now that, by and of itself was not, nor would ever be a problem. I certainly believe in social inclusion - and that people who are not of able body ought not to be excluded from any social or business activity.

But, what had happened was - I received a Facebook notification, from a 'facebook friend' telling me to go and have a look at the new website. Now, I have to tell you something about myself - that is, I didn't do it!!

I have some trouble accepting unsolicited messages - especially when they are complete spam and and now somehow permissable because it is facebook.

So, I receive this invitation, along with who knows how many other people - when I get this sarcacstic inbox message advising me that 'it was nice to see how compliant my shiney new website is'. Now, in days gone by, I'd have had reacted immediately - but I wondered what was in the mind - so I answered with a question to acsertain what the full meaning of the message was. To which I received another terse, triumphalistic response advising that I fell foul of compliance rules. The note went on to say that it was for my own good - Imagine that!! (Now take your floggin' son, it is for your own good!)

Well I replied that it would have been great advice if the site were mine - and since I had nothing at all to do with it, perhaps he (the man who contacted me) would probably be better served if he checked his factual content before making such allegations.

To cut a very long story, very short - it ended with me receiving an apology - but it came after some very sharp pieces of my mind were dispensed. I thought we were inboxing one another, and that my messages to this individual were private - imagine my shock, surprise, guilt and shame, when I was notified that a friend of mine in South Africa actually 'liked' the rebuke. I wasn't trying to score any points, but to correct a situation. This is certainly not how I like to roll!

The moral of the story folks is this - even in private - be gentle with people because you're always on display; someone is always watching.

I'll be more careful next time!!

3 comments:

Lea White said...

That's the problem with social media I think. It is just so visible.

Paul said...

Being a blogger and a teacher I try to be conservative in my comments. Sometimes however I do forget that my students could read a comment I've made that possibly I shouldn't have!

Lea White said...

Paul (http://glossaryking.blogspot.com) is having some technical difficulties tonight. He has tagged you in his latest blog entry :-).