Pages

Friday 3 February 2012

Isn't life a smorgasbord of wonderful opportunities?

Every day, life presents her menu of choices to us, and says "Here's what's on the menu today. I know you may not like everything here, no more that you liked your greens when you were a child.  You didn't want to eat your vegetables then, but now in the fullnes of time, I know that you're glad you did!

You've also seen how your children chose not to like their greens but how now, that they've grown up, they're essential meal-time inclusions for them!"

Yesterday, here's what life said to me -
"So today here's what I offer to you! The man for whom you're delivering your training today, has been let down by his supplier for tomorrow! I know that by the end of this evening you'll have been at it for twelve hours!"  "You'll get home past midnight, and you'll need to be back here by 07h30 - the temperature outside will be -8 tonight and even colder in the morning; the roads will be treacherous and what is ordinarily a one-and-a-half-hour drive will take a little longer"
"Are you up for that?"

And I said to life - "You know what - why not?"

To which she replied - "Great, here's the tricky bit - the subject matter is someting about which you have absolutely no knowledge!"

And I said "You have got to be kidding me!!"

"No, I am not!" "But I know that you have one key ingredient that will help you!"

"And that is. . .?" I half replied, half enquired, cynically!

"The ability to ask great questions!" - . . . And therein was my answer.

I accepted the challenge and I had the most wonderful experience. I simply told my delegates today
"The subject I am about to present, I have no knowldege of - so, here's what we'll do, I present it to you by asking questions about what things mean!"

They loved it - and so did I - and the ratings they gave me defied reason.

Saying "YES" to life means trusting her enough recognise that she will give us what we need - and trusting ourselves enough to take stock of ourselves . . . and to enjoy the experience!

1 comment:

Paul said...

A great post, George! Asking questions of ourselves I believe is really important